Outstanding successes for Diageo’s Scotch and Irish whiskies at the International Wine & Spirits Competition (IWSC).
The Singleton™ of Glen Ord™ 15 year old scored a Trophy – the ultimate prize – and a Gold Outstanding citation, and other Diageo whiskies walked away with 12 Gold and Gold Outstanding Medals and 23 Silver and Silver Outstanding Medals at the International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC) who announced their results on 26 July.
The highlights for Diageo whiskies this year are:
- A Gold Outstanding and overall Trophy for ‘Best Single Malt 15 years and Under’ for The Singleton™ of Glen Ord 15 year old, which the judges praised as “Wonderfully complex and appealing. Warm and sensual, compiled with a basket of forest fruits and savoury delights. Classic and Chic.”
- Gold Outstanding medals for Lagavulin™ Distillers Edition™ and Lagavulin 16 year old – confirming these majestic Single Malt Scotch Whiskies yet again as some of the top whisky medal winners of our generation.
- Bushmills™ 21 year old Single Malt Irish Whiskey also won a Gold Outstanding award: the judges loved it: “Stunning nose led by ripe nectarine, peach, and marzipan. Then follows a dramatic wave of malty aromas backed by rich oloroso sherry. Hints of cinnamon and sweet vanilla. Deep flavoured mellow mouth with lots of mature characters all based around fine malt and good sherry. Hints of raisins and liquorice. Smooth in all respects. Intense, well concentrated finish.”
Gold Medals (which means 90-100 out of 100 points) for several of great blended Scotch whiskies, including John Walker & Sons Odyssey® and Johnnie Walker® Blue Label™ and Black Label®; for Windsor™ 21 year old, a big player in South Korea; and for Buchanan’s™ 12 year old and Haig Supreme™ 1627, both highly significant brands in Latin America.
Gold Medals were also awarded to The Singleton™ of Glen Ord™ 12 year old and Caol Ila™ 12 year old, and to Bushmills™ 16 year old Single Malt Irish Whiskey.
Silver Outstanding Medals went to:
- Johnnie Walker® Platinum Label™ 18 year old, released earlier this year
- Oban™ 14 year old
- Bushmills™ Single Malt Irish Whiskey 10 year old
- Bushmills™ 1608 Deluxe Blend Irish Whiskey
- Talisker™ 10 year old
- The Singleton™ of Dufftown 15 year old
- The Singleton™ of Glendullan 12 year old
- Windsor™ 12 year old
- Windsor™ Deluxe 17 year old
Comment by Nick Morgan
Dr Nick Morgan, Diageo’s Head of Whisky Outreach, said
“These 36 Gold and Silver Medals are a tribute to the skilled and dedicated men and women who make our whiskies. In a hugely crowded field, the Trophy for the Best Single Malt under 15 years old for The Singleton™ of Glen Ord 15 year old is a wonderful confirmation of the good taste of our discerning consumers in Asia where this innovative single malt whisky is outperforming the category.
“And it’s also fantastic to see some of our great vibrant blends like Johnnie Walker®, Buchanan’s™ and Windsor™ pulling in so many Golds and Silvers in this important competition.
“It goes to show that commercial success goes hand in hand with a passion for making the very best whiskies, acknowledged here by impartial and highly qualified professional judges.”
Notes to Editors
The International Wine and Spirit Competition (IWSC) was founded in 1969 and is the premier competition of its kind in the world. Its aim is to promote the quality and excellence of the world’s best wines, spirits and liqueurs. See http://www.iwsc.net